+ Reply to Thread
    Member PP Student billp is on a distinguished road
    Gallery
    Gallery
    Credits

Best light meter for a beginner?

Can anyone suggest a good starter meter for a beginner like me? I have a Sony A390 that I think has TTL metering (multi-segment, center-weighted and spot). However, I think I'll need a meter for doing portraits, not sure? Can anyone help?
    Bill
    "Beauty is in the viewfinder of the beholder."

Sony A390
    Sony 18-55mm SAM f4 - 4.5
    Sony 55-200mm SAM ED f4 - 4.5

Absolute Photography Geek PP Student jerryph has much to be proud of jerryph has much to be proud of jerryph has much to be proud of jerryph has much to be proud of jerryph has much to be proud of jerryph has much to be proud of jerryph has much to be proud of jerryph has much to be proud of
    Gallery
    Gallery
    Credits

Re: Best light meter for a beginner?

have any pawn shops near your area? Look in there, I saw some older flash meters for like $25-$75. I use a Sekonic L-358 meter which was around $175 new when I bought it... however, that said... I shot portraiture for about 2 years before I got a meter and did quite well just chimping. Where meters come in handy is if you want to start to do precise ratios... which honestly if you are a beginner, have bigger things to think about like composition, basic overall good exposure and the poses.

There is no external light meter that calculates TTL. For portraiture, manual flash power rules for consistency and best results. A lot depends on what lights you use and how you shoot.
    "I know that if I throw enough crap against the wall... SOMETHING has to stick!"
    - Zack Arias

"...Bonum certamen certavi, cursum consumavi et fidem servavi..."

denisedotson

Re: Best light meter for a beginner?

I am also using The Sekonic L-358 light meter. It is an excellent meter. I have fallen in love with it. Sekonic L-358 is such a high precision instrument which measures incident, reflected, flash (cord & cordless). I got great digital photos after I have used the reading on 2 different cameras under normal & Flash lights.
    Last edited by Kaye; 04-16-2013 at 01:27 PM.